Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know ouraqt...  
Full Name  
Nickname ouraqt 
State/Province, Country CA   United States
GD Gathering City Sebastopol, CA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1088  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/6/2006 1:52:59 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Thunder Carrot (My 3D Modeler!) WHAT IS THUNDER CARROT? Thunder Carrot is a simple 3D modeler I'm working on. My interest is in 3D games and I wanted to make a minimal tool that I could use to create characters, design maps, etc. Enjoy the screenshots - there's not much m... 
Posted September 1, 2008 12:55:22 AM
Sound Recording and Playback at the Same Time I am running Windows 7, 64-bit, programming in C++. I want to feed audio input from a microphone to the speakers in real time. I tried using the Win32 WaveIn and WaveOut APIs, but the latency was much to large (as in, > 800 ms). What is the... 
Posted April 11, 2010 7:38:44 AM
Real-Time Digital Sculpting I'm working on an application that will allow users to digitally sculpt into a triangle mesh. Rendering is done in OpenGL. The basic concept is that users can sculpt into a mesh with a pillbox-shaped tool (a pillbox is a cylinder with half-s... 
Posted March 1, 2010 2:01:13 AM
make a matrix not modify a coordinate Don't worry. You won't have to debug my code. But in case you're curious... // compute a homography matrix matrix math::matrix_homography( float src_x0, float src_y0, float src_x1, float src_y1, float src_x2, float src_y2, float src_x3, float... 
Posted February 21, 2010 5:12:19 AM
Video Decoding Hey everyone! I'm looking for a [free] C/C++ library that decodes video files in common formats (preferably at least MPEGs). And by "decode", I just mean I want the ability to get the bitmap data for each frame (so I can save each frame to a file a... 
Posted December 28, 2009 12:48:59 AM
Some Quaternion Functions - Enjoy I recently implemented skeletal animations, and for smooth interpolations I used quaternions and the SLERP algorithm. Quaternions are weird extensions of the complex number system. But you don't really need to know anything about them to use them... 
Posted December 20, 2009 5:44:21 AM
Skeletal Animation - Transitioning to a new animation? What do games normally do, for example, when a character switches from a running animation to a jumping animation? I'm about to implement skeletal animation, and I'm unsure if I should even implement inter-animation interpolation at all. Do games... 
Posted November 10, 2009 5:55:55 PM
Scaling Normals I was thinking about this common scenario: You scale your geometry with a scaling matrix, but then your normals get scaled as well. This results in incorrect lighting. To combat this, we could use D3DRENDERSTATE_NORMALIZENORMALS (idk what the Op... 
Posted October 12, 2009 7:55:30 PM
Anyone use Scintilla? It's a code-editing control. It makes things like syntax highlighting really easy...almost. My problem is that it seems to not apply syntax highlighting to a keyword if that keyword is the last part of a document. Anyone else get this problem?... 
Posted July 26, 2009 8:16:02 PM
A Slight Variant of Modern Exception Handling So I've been thinking about exception handling a lot lately, and I'm trying to make it just a little bit better (I'm working on a scripting language right now). Here's what I've got so far in a C++ish syntax: // there is an implicit try... 
Posted July 14, 2009 9:37:01 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Error while building in visual c++ express 2010 I always choose "Empty Project" in Visual Studio. Then it decides automatically whether to create a console window based on whether you have a main or a WinMain. Also it doesn't add any MFC, AFX, or any of that Microsoft weirdness to your proj... 
Posted August 8, 2010 2:51:44 AM
Merging 2 video files? You could also write a simple C++ application to do this for you (shouldn't take more than a few minutes). Use OpenCV to read and write the videos. It's free and you might learn a little doing it. 
Posted July 22, 2010 3:14:44 AM
Drawing line wider than 1px with DirectX I would suggest drawing polygons that are more than 1px wide. A thick line is really just a rectangle. Plus, if you have anti-aliasing on in general, it should give you anti-aliased lines, too, when they are composed of polygons. Addition... 
Posted April 19, 2010 9:32:30 PM
Sound Recording and Playback at the Same Time Small buffers - got it. But I'm also trying to do an FFT on the data - and from my knowledge of FFTs, larger buffers give more accurate fourier transforms. I'm trying to determine the fundamental pitch of the mic input in real time - I guess t... 
Posted April 11, 2010 6:06:23 PM
root engine - landscape For image loading I suggest FreeImage. It's what I use in my projects. It's fast and loads all the popular formats. Also, I can see the seams in your skybox. If you're using OpenGL, you can fix this with: glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textu... 
Posted February 28, 2010 5:41:08 PM
DirectX 11 SDK - Backwards compatible? Wait, so DirectX 11 works on DirectX 9 level hardware, but DirectX 10 doesn't? 
Posted February 24, 2010 1:51:33 AM
make a matrix not modify a coordinate I'm not sure what you mean. You mean like expanding it out to see all the dot products? I have looked at an expansion of matrix multiplication before. I can't seem to figure it out. I'm tempted to just write a vertex shader that sets the w co... 
Posted February 21, 2010 9:55:56 PM
make a matrix not modify a coordinate Indeed, I know how matrix multiplication works. But I can't just make that row (0, 0, 0, 1). That would affect the other coordinates, wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure it would. 
Posted February 21, 2010 5:16:53 PM
surface normals Another way to do it would be to cast a ray from the center (well, the center isn't particularly important, but it gives you a starting point) of every polygon out to infinity in any direction. Count the number of OTHER polygons it hits. If it hits... 
Posted February 14, 2010 6:04:48 AM
freeware calculator I don't think this is exactly what you're looking for but... I made a calculator that opens REALLY fast (so that's at least one thing you wanted). It basically just evaluates any expression you type into it, and it graphs and does calculus t... 
Posted December 31, 2009 1:06:57 AM
View All Replies Made By This User