Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Shimidly...  
Full Name  
Nickname Shimidly 
State/Province, Country Las Vegas
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1011  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/6/2009 2:42:05 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Weird dreams when I'm learning C++ I just decided about a month ago to start learning C++ again. Strange as it may sound, and I don't know what it is, just wrapping your head around a new paradigm I guess (the paradigm of programming), but dang, I've been having the most bizarre, str... 
Posted August 12, 2009 5:05:28 PM
Copyright issues in games I'm in the process of brainstorming a really good game idea. It will be an overhead shooter. What are the legalities around having something like Dr Pepper in the game, so that when the player "Drinks a Dr Pepper" his health and stamina go up 10 po... 
Posted August 11, 2009 1:16:51 PM
trouble with getline(cin,mystr) int fline; string edit; cout << "Which line do you want to edit?\n"; cin >> fline; cout << "Which text do you want to replace it with?\n"; getline (cin,edit); If I have cin take an int before using getline (cin,e... 
Posted August 8, 2009 12:04:35 PM
Game Networking From what I read it sounds like some really tricky business. Is their any holy grail solution to networking a game for online play that works great? edit: I'm using c++. My skill level? Well I just spent the last week learning about struct... 
Posted August 3, 2009 5:03:03 AM
Does this ever happen to you? Writing a program from the ground up and getting hung up (sometimes for days) on just a few lines of code, wondering how you're going to make something do what you want it to do. Stalled by some mathematical concept that you just can't wrap you... 
Posted July 28, 2009 1:16:34 AM
Idea for a game programming book Note: I hope this is in the appropriate forum, if not then if you can could you please move it to where it would best belong? Create a game programming book that is written by the experts (of game programming) and reviewed by beginners simultaneou... 
Posted July 12, 2009 5:23:14 PM
I'm really new and I need some advice Still very fresh to programming, I have only read 1-2 books on c++, and the biggest program I ever made was a 5000 line text-based game. I want to learn how to make a game with ms-paint-like graphics, overhead view, duel OS compatibili... 
Posted July 6, 2009 3:01:09 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Favorite Computer Joke Dev: " Hey, Reg, you know C++ right? What does: ".\src\Cont.cpp(52) : error C2679: binary '=' : no operator found which takes a right-hand operand of type 'int' (or there is no acceptable conversion) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\... 
Posted August 12, 2009 5:38:01 PM
Wow... how do people make graphics libraries? I have been wondering this same question for some time. In fact, I've spent some time going through iostream trying to see the nuts and bolts of how it works, but I can't seem to figure out what part of it calls the console, uses ASCII, and actually... 
Posted August 12, 2009 4:51:23 PM
C++ member functions Simple explanation: #include <iostream> using namespace std; class CExample { public: int x; int y; // member variables void set_values(int a,int b) // member function to modify member variables { x=a; y=b; } }object; ... 
Posted August 12, 2009 4:42:15 PM
Copyright issues in games I would willingly advertise Dr Pepper for free (-:. Although it did give me an idea, I didn't want to support my game with ads but maybe I could do product placement in game like in-game billboards or "Mountain Dew" engraved in the sand. 
Posted August 11, 2009 2:15:18 PM
what c++ book? Great books that are free online (I've read both) are: "Thinking in C++" and the tutorial found here: http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ The latter is excellent when you're just learning the language, everything is explained very clearly an... 
Posted August 11, 2009 11:32:04 AM
Random Negative Numbers? number = -((rand() % 100) + 1); 
Posted August 10, 2009 6:41:31 AM
Beginner game code The code is fairly clean and easy to read/understand. That's a plus. The only problem I could see was redundancy with the struct, but that was the only thing. Think of each object of struct "game" to contain all the members inside of "gam... 
Posted August 6, 2009 4:20:07 AM
Game Networking Thanks for the great advice by everyone on this thread. I definitely have a better idea of where to go from here now, and what materials to read. 
Posted August 4, 2009 9:30:51 AM
Hello! I'm beginner but.... Actually, a lot of great games were programmed and drawn by one man, such as Soldat. I plan on making my game by myself, and if I implement it well enough maybe someone else will help me, but I won't count on it.  
Posted August 3, 2009 3:44:32 AM
Beggining Programming Question Quote:Original post by Sappharos Here's a link to a well-structured (imho) C++ tutorial I find quite helpful. Yes, if you want to be a game programmer you have to learn the basics. I'm still learning them! http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ ... 
Posted July 29, 2009 10:48:08 PM
View All Replies Made By This User