Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know metalcrusader...  
Full Name  
Nickname metalcrusader 
State/Province, Country    Germany
GD Gathering City Hamburg, , Germany
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1015  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 9/18/2005 9:26:25 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Chaos Theory now on Steam Our first official game Chaos Theory is now available for Windows PCs (XP and Vista) on the popular online portal Steam. The game is a balanced mix of arcade like dexterity tests and challenging puzzle elements, packed into an atmospheric e... 
Posted May 25, 2008 3:38:22 AM
glTexEnv - Texure combine Hi! In my shader-application I calculate the color of a fragment this way: gl_FragColor = gl_Color + normalize( Tex1Color * Tex2Color); Now, I want to implement it only using the fixed function pipeline - but I don't know how. I think I hav... 
Posted September 25, 2006 5:31:41 AM
avoiding back projections in shadow mapping Hello! I've implemented shadow mapping using the texgen functions to calculate the texture coordinates. Unfortunately, I have these ugly back projections. I already read the chapter "Projective Textures" in "more OpenGL game programming" and the... 
Posted September 22, 2006 8:38:13 AM
shadow mapping: glTexGen vs. shader Hello! If I want to use shadow mapping in fixed-function-pipeline-mode, I have to use glTexGen with a texgen matrix. This matrix consists of the light-projection-matrix, light-view-matrix, and the inverted model-matrix of the camera. I understand... 
Posted September 13, 2006 10:03:38 AM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes Hello! I still have problems changing from z-pass to z-fail. With z-pass, everything is ok but when I change to z-fail, I get a second "ghost-shadow" overlapping the scene. I've uploaded a screenshot for better understanding: [URL=http://imageshack... 
Posted June 26, 2006 8:02:34 AM
StencilValueMask vs. StencilWriteMask Hello! Can anybody explain the difference to me? I ask, because I get different shadows for different masks. I use glStencilFunc( GL,ALWAYS, 0,0) for the stencilbuffer-writings and glStencilFunc( GL_NOTEQUAL, 0, 1) before drawing the "shadow-plane"... 
Posted May 1, 2006 5:39:28 AM
zFail & infinite view frustum PROBLEM! Hello! I have problems implementing Stencil Shadow Volumes with zFail. To prevent that the volume is clipped by the far plane, I have to use an „infinite view frustum“. But how can I make that in OpenGL ( not the theory and need the OpenGL-Call!). A... 
Posted April 23, 2006 4:57:56 AM
zFail capping for stenciled shadow volumes Hi! I create Shadow Volumes by extending the occluder with quads between the triangles. Then I extrude them in the vertex shader, if the vertex´ normal isn`t facing the light. For shadow detection I use zFail and everything works fine! But then I t... 
Posted April 1, 2006 9:04:39 AM
Artefacts with shadow mapping (GLSL) Hello! I´ve implemented a shadow-Mapping algorithm using GLSL. What i do is storing the Modelview and Projection matrices of the Lightsource. Then i calculate the matrix, which should translate my vertex to the lightspace: glMatrixMode(GL_TEXTURE... 
Posted January 3, 2006 6:51:56 AM
Glew + QT Problem Hi! I want to write an QT example which should use shaders. Without Shaders ( without any ARB-call) it works. But when i include "glew.h" ( and edit the Makefile: -lGLEW) i got "/usr/include/GL/glew.h:66:2: error: #error gl.h included before glew.h ... 
Posted January 2, 2006 9:54:06 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Chaos Theory now on Steam Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord A few questions, if you don't mind answering: 1) What language and APIs is it made in? 2) How many people worked on it? 3) How long did it take? 4) How hard was it to get it on Steam? 5) How... 
Posted May 26, 2008 4:05:19 PM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes I got it!!! I had multiple faces in my backcap which formed the second shadow! Thank you for your advises - I need them later when I make it robust! 
Posted June 29, 2006 3:50:56 AM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes Thank you for still being interested!!!! Yes, I am sure that I am extruding to the right direction and I am also sure that the ghost shadow is not the real shadow, because in motion the ghost seems to be lying under the green plane - which is my... 
Posted June 28, 2006 6:01:25 AM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes No, it does not work! When I use only the infinite projection matrix for drawing the volumes, I don't see the real shadow at all - only the "ghost". But why do I need the infinite projection matrix when I can limit the volume to ensure t... 
Posted June 27, 2006 12:40:59 PM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes I don't think that your matrix is right, because I only get a white screen. I used it like this: float aspectRatio = width / height; float near = 0.1; float fov = 45.0; float focalLength = tan( fov/2); float right = near / focalLength; f... 
Posted June 27, 2006 9:04:40 AM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes I never build up the projection martix like this. I always used gluPerspective - which is much easier to use! Now I build up the matrix like you advised me to do - but I'm not sure how to choose the left, right, bottom and top values. I thought left... 
Posted June 27, 2006 3:51:31 AM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes Now I've tried both: first, limit the shadow volume and then I used an infinite projection matrix which I found at another tutorial. The code is float vpratio = 1.0f; float fov = 90;//CameraFOV[id]; float nearp = 0.1f; float aspect = 4.0f /... 
Posted June 26, 2006 2:13:03 PM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes I'm using GL_DEPTH_CLAMP for drawing the shadow volume, so the volume should not be clipped by the front&far planes. But at the moment, I try to limit the shadowvolume so that it could not be clipped by a far plane lying at for example 2000. I do th... 
Posted June 26, 2006 11:49:38 AM
still problems with z-Fail for stencil shadow volumes Thank you for answering!!! - but I use z-Fail for which a near-plane intersection is no problem. In addition I can make the volume visible and I can see that the volume isn't cut by that plane. More ideas? 
Posted June 26, 2006 8:38:09 AM
zFail & infinite view frustum PROBLEM! Thank you again! I did everything you advised me to do - but the "ghost shadow" didn't want to disapear. Then I compared my code with an old zPass implementation and I noticed that I have set the mask parameter of glStencilFunc to 0 instead of 1. T... 
Posted April 25, 2006 3:12:16 AM
View All Replies Made By This User