Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know darkcypher543...  
Full Name David 
Nickname darkcypher543 
State/Province, Country MO   United States
GD Gathering City Lincoln, MO, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID cypher543 
Current Occupation
Job Title Project Manager/Programmer 
Job Description Coordinate software projects and participate in C development 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1029  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 1/7/2007 5:51:54 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Do cartoon-style games have to be for kids? I am designing a "furry" game that takes place in a cel-shaded cartoon-like city. But, the storyline I have in mind isn't exactly for young children. It involves killing and such. My question is, do games in this style necessarily have to be... 
Posted July 27, 2007 6:12:08 PM
Examples of C++ pointers in real programming situations? I've been using XNA with C# for a while, but it just doesn't seem complete to me, so I would like to use something like Ogre until XNA becomes a little more mature. I know C++ relatively well and I can understand almost all of it... except pointers. ... 
Posted June 30, 2007 1:37:33 PM
Original storyline for a horror game? Is it possible? I'm currently working on a PC game that revolves around a character stranded in a city full of crazed zombies. Now, this alone is fairly unoriginal. Which is why I want to make the remainder of my storyline as original as possible. Does anyon... 
Posted February 14, 2007 7:43:24 PM
First-person puzzle game ideas I can't wait for Portal. It looks really fun and imaginative. So, I decided that while I'm bored, I should try to make something like it using the Source SDK. I don't want to make it exactly like Portal, but I would like to make some type of first-pe... 
Posted June 17, 2007 1:56:08 PM
Resonance technology I've been reading about Resonators and Resonance in an attempt to formulate a storyline for my Half-Life 2 mod. While those two articles have a ton of info, I can't understand very much of it (I haven't taken any upper-level science classes, besides... 
Posted June 2, 2007 12:54:53 PM
Writing for an existing game? I really want to get into Half-Life 2 modding, but I just can't get any good storyline ideas. I want it to take place in the HL2 universe and I want the main character to be Gordon Freeman. My question is, how do I write a storyline for a mod of a... 
Posted May 18, 2007 5:01:39 PM
[XNA] GraphicsDevice is NULL I'm having a bit of trouble with the XNA GraphicsDevice. Here's a short walkthrough of how my engine currently works up to the error... The Game class creates an instance of the ScreenManager class and adds it to the Components collection. The Scr... 
Posted April 28, 2007 10:12:47 PM
Game engine structures I am interested in the structures of game engines and I am currently attempting to design my own in-house engine for an upcoming project. However, I get in a position where I get completely confused. This is mostly because I don't have enough experie... 
Posted April 24, 2007 7:36:28 PM
Gamebryo or C4? I've been looking for a good game engine to start with. I tried Torque, but found it to be kind of bloated and hard to use. I tried various combinations of open source libraries, but they just didn't feel right to me. Plus, some of the licenses just... 
Posted April 23, 2007 11:50:31 PM
So many things keep me from making games I love video games. I also love programming. So, I decided to try getting into game development. I'm mostly a C# person, but since there aren't many 3D tools available for C#, I learned C++. I get mostly all of it, except... pointers. I hate point... 
Posted February 18, 2007 8:54:25 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Do cartoon-style games have to be for kids? What I meant to ask was "are cartoon-style adult games widely accepted", but I see now that they are. Thanks for the examples! 
Posted July 27, 2007 9:00:01 PM
One for the Other? For me, it really depends on the game's genre. But, I'm much more attracted to games with extremely detailed graphics. 
Posted July 23, 2007 2:26:45 AM
W.I.P game idea/project It reminds me of the Combine Citadel, as well. Certainly a good idea, though. Good luck! :D 
Posted July 22, 2007 10:07:10 PM
Registering a web domain If you are interested in a webhost that is beginner-friendly, you might take a look at A Small Orange. I've been with them for almost a year with no major problems. Frankly, all I ever hear about Dreamhost is how horrible their support and uptime is. 
Posted July 17, 2007 2:09:51 AM
**sigh** more design snags For simple RPGs, I prefer 2D games like Golden Sun and such. For more complex and immersive RPGs, I like 3D games like Oblivion and Fable. Hopefully I'm understanding your question correctly. 
Posted July 12, 2007 3:17:39 PM
Stop praising Halo, it's not a gift from God Halo is the only game that I have ever started playing and then immediately got immersed. To me, it was 50% gameplay and 50% storyline. It has one of my favorite storylines in any game. I think what gets most people excited about a new Halo... 
Posted July 12, 2007 1:55:43 PM
The Ultimate MMORPG idea You, sir, are a genius. :P That idea made my day. I was actually in a very bad mood until I stumbled upon this masterpiece. Good show, old chap. ;) 
Posted June 26, 2007 12:59:36 AM
3D Game engine for horse racing simulation That's a rather vague question. Maybe you should explain what exactly you are looking for. A lot of 3D engines could make a horse racing simulation. 
Posted June 24, 2007 11:07:25 PM
Uhh.. [hammer ambient light problems] IIRC, you need to run "buildcubemaps" from the in-game console to fix the problem with enemies being visible in the dark. I don't know if you need to place an env_cubemap entity or not. Source might generate one automatically during a compile. 
Posted June 17, 2007 11:21:30 PM
First-person puzzle game ideas I like that idea. It also allows me to make physics puzzles and things. I actually never thought about hiding the door, but simply making it impossible to reach at first glance. But, hiding it could make the puzzles more interesting. I've read in var... 
Posted June 17, 2007 10:01:05 PM
View All Replies Made By This User