Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know spunkybuttockszc...  
Full Name Zach 
Nickname spunkybuttockszc 
State/Province, Country
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Student (Freshman in HS) 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 918  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/5/2004 8:43:01 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Is SmartDraw any good? I'm looking for a program I can use to design UML diagrams. My school has SmartDraw installed on all their computers, and I've messed around with it a bit. It seems to have good support for UML, and a lot of other types of diagrams. But is it re... 
Posted March 9, 2005 6:39:38 PM
weird things happening I'm writing a sort-of tournament simulator as a prototype for a game I want to make. The program runs in a console, and is essentially meant to simulate something like the Playoffs Bracket. Here's the source: #include <iostream> #include... 
Posted March 5, 2005 6:48:41 PM
history class is pointless... High school history classes are so totally pointless. For me to graduate, I have to have at least one credit in *European* history. WHY?! I don't live in Europe! I don't plan on moving or even ever travelling to Europe! And if I did, I woul... 
Posted February 28, 2005 6:09:43 PM
question about casting // Alright, say I have these three classes: class A { public: }; class B : public A { public: }; class C // this is unrelated to A or B { public: }; // now, I know what happens when I perform a cast like this: A *a = new... 
Posted February 27, 2005 4:58:42 PM
question about deleting objects I have been monitoring my game's memory usage in the task manager in Windows, because I thought I had a memory leak. So I started up the game until it came to a breakpoint I had placed. Then I opened the task manager, and the memory usage was 19,480... 
Posted February 20, 2005 2:30:30 PM
memory management problem Hi. I'm having a bit of a memory management problem in a game project of mine. The game is a 1942 clone, just a simple overhead shooter in which the player takes control of a plane flying over the sea, fighting other planes. My problem, as I said, li... 
Posted February 19, 2005 2:52:35 PM
need ideas for '1945' clone Hi. I've been working on a '1945' clone, and the base framework for the game is up and running perfectly. It is designed in such a way I can easily add all kinds of new content to the game. All I have as of now is your basic bullet and one... 
Posted February 13, 2005 3:57:49 PM
class design question Here's a small portion of the class hierarchy pertaining to bullets for a '1945' clone: GameEntity -----Bullet_Generic ----------Bullet_Normal ----------Bullet_Homing ----------Bullet_Exploding 'Bullet_Generic' contains only one e... 
Posted February 8, 2005 9:16:24 PM
noobish, probably naive question Okay, I'm not really a noob to game programming, but I've encountered a problem that I've never had any trouble with before. Here's a code snippet: float start_time = (float)CL_System::get_time(); float curr_time = start_time; float delta_time... 
Posted February 8, 2005 5:11:43 PM
MIDI to WAV? Does anybody know of a good, FREE program for converting MIDI music files to WAV's? I've tried Google, and found a lot of seemingly good programs, but all of them cost about $20.00. 
Posted January 31, 2005 8:09:27 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Where to start? MMORPG Quote:Original post by graveyard filla Quote:Original post by spunkybuttockszc Well, you're definately right about it taking a very long time, and a huge amount of dedication. But the true reason it's so difficult is the network programming. The ne... 
Posted March 10, 2005 4:39:16 PM
Is SmartDraw any good? Nobody knows? Is UML not popular anymore? 
Posted March 10, 2005 4:33:26 PM
Tank game ai For the tank's movement: every five seconds (or some other similarly small time interval), give the AI tank a new destination for it to travel to. Draw a line (not literally on the screen, but in theory) between the tank and the destination. If... 
Posted March 9, 2005 8:57:22 PM
visual basic question Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster I believe you can still compile vb6 code in vb.NET. I also believe that .NET is much more than "just a couple of web site add-ons" Yes, .NET is a whole new iteration of the compiler. The language has change... 
Posted March 9, 2005 8:31:41 PM
Where to start? MMORPG Quote:Original post by graveyard filla Quote:Original post by v0dKA Just an aside question if you guys don't mind: Is there one thing in particular that makes MMORPG development difficult, or is it many factors combined? Let's say I have full... 
Posted March 9, 2005 6:34:33 PM
Getting Started Quote:Original post by doho Just remeber to start out easy and NOT dig into 3D. Start writing some classical games such as tetris, pacman and astroids. This is excellent advice, except if you're already a very skilled and experienced programmer,... 
Posted March 8, 2005 8:10:39 PM
2D Vector Class Quote:Original post by Raymond_Porter420 I read that somebody said they had heard it was good practice to expose the x and y members publicly. I disagree, as I think they did. Though it may seem OK since it's just a simple vector class, there's is... 
Posted March 8, 2005 5:51:05 PM
First MMORPG For an MMORPG, you need C++ for performance and speed reasons. It's as simple as that. Plus you need dedication, skill, some more dedication, and some more skill, and so on. Plus, you better be a absolute network programming genius, or you'll fa... 
Posted March 8, 2005 5:45:53 PM
2D Vector Class I've just skimmed through this thread, so I may repeat something, but here's my thoughts: Firstly, you need to inline those functions! They are small, and will be called many, MANY times during the game's execution. These could serve as a minor pe... 
Posted March 7, 2005 9:34:09 PM
Questions regarding moderate level C++ It sounds to me like you need this book: "C++ for Game Programmers" by Noel Lloepis. It's excellent, and it's sole purpose is to cover how to effectively use the exclusive features of C++. Templates actually has an entire chapter devoted to it. In... 
Posted March 7, 2005 6:23:39 PM
View All Replies Made By This User