Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Tree Penguin...  
Full Name Frank de Bresser
Nickname Tree Penguin 
State/Province, Country I cant remember...
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Junior Graphics Programmer 
Job Description Making pretty pictures 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1108  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 12/30/2003 1:52:33 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Multiply two functions by their SH coefficient lists? Is it possible to multiply two (lighting) functions, converted to SH, by using only their SH coefficients? All methods I have found so far - aside from multiplying the sampled result of the SH equations, and then converting it back to SH coef... 
Posted September 23, 2010 7:18:43 AM
Depth-testing multiple depth targets at once? I'd like to render part of a scene using a normal depth target (less-equal tested, and written to) and a second depth target (greater-than tested) to have a max depth as well as a min depth. Is this in any way possible in the newer DX versions (10... 
Posted August 13, 2010 7:18:42 PM
Anisotropic Mag Filtering, Why? Is there any reason to use anisotropic filtering as the magnify filter? I imagine there would be some slight changes with textures that are extremely magnified, but not so big you'd notice the difference, or at least I don't think you could tell i... 
Posted October 18, 2009 3:20:38 PM
Volume of a parabole function with 3 axis? (4-dimensional volume) Hi, I'm trying to figure out the formula for calculating the volume of part of a 3-axis parabole, with different lengths on each axis, but starting on (0,0,0). My maths isn't that strong (especially terminology), so I have no idea what t... 
Posted August 14, 2009 5:41:26 AM
Graphics Card feature list? Hi, is there any website that contains a reasonably complete list of graphics cards and their features (like max texture resolution, supported extensions)? I've always used delphi3d.net but that site appears to be down. Thanks!  
Posted September 19, 2008 4:38:58 PM
Hard coded unicode characters? C++ Hi, is it possible to define strings containing unicode characters in the code itself, as in: wchar_t text = "こにちわ"; I searched a lot but everyone seems to use L"Text here." to convert the 8-bit characters into wide... 
Posted July 9, 2008 1:03:27 PM
Havok Character Controller jump speed? Does anyone know how to change the jump speed or force of Havok Character Controllers (the phantom version, if it matters)? The manual, header files and the internet don't seem to have the answer. Thanks! 
Posted July 1, 2008 4:23:49 PM
GLSL texture2DGrad and texture2D Hi. Because of manual tiling in a fragment shader, I need to supply texture coordinate derivatives myself to avoid mipmapping artifacts at the texture borders, as you can see here. I first tried texture2DLod, but that doesn't support anisotropic f... 
Posted June 29, 2008 2:45:47 PM
Multilighttex Hi, Above are some screenshots of a demo I made with rendering multiple dynamic lights (in this case 16) in a single pass. The demo features diffuse mapping, specular mapping, normal mapping, parallax mapping, shadow volumes, tonemapping and a lit... 
Posted March 17, 2008 2:53:15 PM
Float precision errors - cpu dependent? Hi, just to be sure, do the (single precision) floating point precision errors differ for different cpu's like Intel vs. AMD, 32bit vs 64bit or maybe even different models from AMD/Intel? If so, would using the strict or precise floating point mod... 
Posted November 4, 2007 8:04:02 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Windows 32bit color and pixel shaders Internally, the shader units use floating point values to do calculations (128bpp for rgba), so that's why you usually see floats in shaders. When you return the float4 from the main function, it is converted to match your rendertarget's format (u... 
Posted March 24, 2010 2:29:00 PM
The Daily GameDev.net I buy games on pc instead of console for better graphics (higher resolution, better effects), among other improvements, and just hook my controller to my pc, and my pc to my tv. For games like Mirror's Edge and Bioshock, which are designed prim... 
Posted February 16, 2010 3:01:10 PM
GLSL : find global min. and max in texture Quote:Original post by taby I suppose you could scan through the entire texture using a sampler2D from within the shader, but that would be a ridiculously huge waste of GPU time. For postprocessing (doing hdr adjustments etc) that's a good way to... 
Posted January 22, 2010 7:13:47 AM
My textures were broken in 8600gt and 8800gt Try locking your pc (Windows Key + L) and unlocking it again. If you get the same problem (or if your game just hangs completely), it's very likely some textures or other buffers aren't released properly when your game is asked to. Search for tuto... 
Posted November 8, 2009 12:35:25 PM
Anisotropic Mag Filtering, Why? According to that caps list my graphics card doesn't support it (NVidia 8800GT), so it's not that surprising that I didn't see a difference. Anyone with a recent ATi card wanna check it out? 
Posted October 20, 2009 9:44:57 AM
Anisotropic Mag Filtering, Why? Quote:Original post by Adam_42 Anisotropic filtering generally only works on the min filter. The debug runtimes should complain if you use it as a mag or mip filter where it's not supported. I know, but anisotropic as a mag filter is... 
Posted October 19, 2009 7:58:01 AM
Four Elements - Unofficial Contest? Count me in too. Even without the elements set it sounds like it'll be an interesting contest! I didn't get if there's already an agreement on minimum specs and target platforms, so: A faster CPU than 2.0Ghz would be nice and more realis... 
Posted October 14, 2009 6:59:39 PM
platform games + physics libraries Assuming you're talking about a 2d sidescroller platformer: Physics can work fine for platformers, as long as you disable one of the dimensions (the one that goes into the screen). Havok (I'm sure most other libs as well) has a charac... 
Posted October 14, 2009 3:38:51 AM
Guns/tech coexisting with swords/magic I think swords are often seen as somewhat magical, or at least very strong, making them a better match for guns. This means guns and swords are simply long and short range weapons, similar to a crossbow and a police baton. Adding guns to the mix m... 
Posted September 14, 2009 7:19:44 AM
Crytek's MassLighting early implementation Quote:Original post by arkangel2803 Then in paper i can see a lot of inperfect shadow maps, i think they are calculated off-line if i am correct... They use the shadow map of the sun (the depth buffer as seem from the sun) for placing their secon... 
Posted August 26, 2009 5:32:10 AM
View All Replies Made By This User