Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Hodgman...  
Full Name  
Nickname Hodgman 
State/Province, Country Victoria   Australia
GD Gathering City Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Graphics programmer 
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1790  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 2/14/2007 10:51:06 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Bokeh This is the result of this thread on bokeh. It's a small demo featuring DOF with Bokeh, SSAO, Bloom and inferred (half-res LPP) lighting. The bokeh effect was inspired by lost planet, the details of the implementation are in the linked thread... 
Posted November 8, 2010 1:14:11 PM
CVs vs Resumes In Australia, I've always used a Resume when applying for jobs. In my experience, this is expected to be brief and to the point - preferably one page, and no more than two - quickly covering your experience and skill-set. I'm pretty sure thi... 
Posted October 21, 2010 11:54:19 PM
_SECURE_SCL woes I thought I knew how to turn off MSVC's _SECURE_SCL feature, but it's causing me headaches still :( I have some code that boils down to the following, and it mysteriously crashes on the line marked below...std::vector<uint> vec1, vec2,... 
Posted October 31, 2010 1:21:48 AM
Krome :'( 12 months ago they had 400 staff. Now it's closing. Good luck fellow Kromans. 
Posted October 15, 2010 2:04:04 AM
Krome sheds more staff, again Tsumea link Gamasutra link Game politics links Krome studios was one of the largest independent devleopers in the world recently, with over 400 staff. Since then they've gone through quite a few rounds of layoffs, bringing them down to ~250... 
Posted August 23, 2010 8:49:51 PM
Real-time lens blur [EDIT] I've revised this a lot since this original post - scroll down to the post with the larger JPEG for the final algorithm. [/EDIT] I started trying out a bokeh idea last night inspired by Lost Planet. The approach I came up with is really... 
Posted July 10, 2010 12:44:44 AM
My wallet is in the future. When did this happen? I leave work at night. It's after office hours so the building has magnetically locked it's doors. I tap my wallet against a sensor to ask it to unlock long enough for me to leave. As I board the tram, I tap my wallet ... 
Posted June 29, 2010 3:29:42 AM
Fear of auto word wrap? How come when some people post on forums, they press enter when the text reaches the edge of the editing box? It's actually quite common, for what seems like a behaviour associated with the mechanical typewriter. e.g. Lorem ipsum dolor sit a... 
Posted May 25, 2010 2:50:58 AM
std::type_info and references I've just noticed that (at least on MSVC9) type_info structures for reference types are the same as their non-reference counterparts. In other words:{ assert( typeid(int) != typeid(int*) )//PASS assert( typeid(int) != typeid(int&) )//FAI... 
Posted May 21, 2010 11:03:40 PM
Win7 Explorer + Backspace On XP's windows explorer, backspace was the keyboard shortcut for going 'up' one directory. Now on Win7 it's the shortcut for going 'back' one directory (or 'forward' if it can't go back). Is there any way to change what backspace d... 
Posted May 2, 2010 11:46:41 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
What's a "Scene Graph"? Quote:Original post by Rubicon phantom, if that were true then all the 3rd party engines out there would be ditching them. I don't keep up to the minute on all the various engines so I shall go out on a limb here. Surely there are miles mo... 
Posted January 6, 2011 8:37:55 AM
Which modeling software should I use? Some companies are all Max, some are all Maya... some are even all Softimage... There's big name companies on each side of the fence. The previous company I worked for used a mixture of Max/Maya/XSI (based on people's personal preferenc... 
Posted January 6, 2011 2:46:44 AM
Asynchronous Scripting Lua is single-threaded, it executes in the same thread as your C code. C can call Lua functions, and Lua can call C functions. So in that respect, Lua code will execute in the same way as your C code does. If you want to write scripts in the s... 
Posted January 6, 2011 2:13:26 AM
Bitfields and Endianness Quote:Original post by David Neubelt Why would a compiler choose to have the bits reversed? It doesn't seem any more efficient on a big endian platform versus a little endian architecture. I can see the instructions the assembly generates and I... 
Posted January 6, 2011 1:45:23 AM
Proper profiling of opengl + GLSL Quote:Original post by Simon_Roth I saw gDEBugger now has a free license, and tried it out. Its useful, but nowhere near as much as a frame capture in a professional tool.^^ 
Posted January 5, 2011 11:11:41 PM
Programming changed? Forever? You can program with enum{True,False,FileNotFound} if you want to... Computers are built in base-2 only because it's usually more cost efficient. Current languages could be compiled for a base-3 computer. Earlier computers used many different... 
Posted January 5, 2011 5:42:17 AM
Proper profiling of opengl + GLSL Bump. I'm considering rewriting my GL code in DX so I can use PIX... and then do a port back to GL at the end for Mac/nix... 
Posted January 5, 2011 4:31:01 AM
Need for CPU (vs just compiler) barriers on x86(-64) On MSVC, volatile only prohibits the compiler from reordering the volatile read/write with regards to other volatile variable, or to global variables. If you write data to a member, and then publish it by setting a volatile flag, the compiler... 
Posted December 17, 2010 12:39:17 AM
Finding a texturesample by position Yep, that's possible.Quote:Original post by tedlin01 First off, how do I get the position in the world of the pixel?You're already calculating the projected position in the vertex shader (e.g. by multiplying the vertex position with a world-view-pro... 
Posted December 17, 2010 12:01:51 AM
Signed distance field rendering (Blending question) No, but alpha-blended objects do need to be drawn sorted from furthest-from-the-camera to closest-to-the-camera. 
Posted December 16, 2010 10:04:38 PM
View All Replies Made By This User