Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know coderchris...  
Full Name  
Nickname coderchris 
State/Province, Country MD   United States
GD Gathering City Prince Frederick, MD, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1032  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 7/29/2006 12:04:42 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
[DX11] Handling multiple GPUs I did alot of googling on the subject of multiple GPUs. Both NVidia and ATI have presentations available, but all they give are guidelines on how to structure your rendering code to make AFR (alternate frame rendering) work efficiently. ... 
Posted September 2, 2010 5:56:05 PM
RenderBuffer Uses? After doing some searching, I can't seem to find anything that says exactly what I should be using a renderbuffer for. Textures seem to have all its capabilities and more at this point. Apparently its sometimes faster than rendering to a texture,... 
Posted January 26, 2010 4:11:12 PM
Performance: Multiple input streams VS One input stream Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had ever done any experimentation comparing the performance of one vertex input stream vs using multiple input streams. Assume using indexed triangle lists. By this I mean, store vertex data like this (o... 
Posted January 15, 2010 12:46:08 AM
How to use a non-standard vertex format? (Using OpenGL 3.2) When specifying the vertex format for a VBO using glVertexPointer, glNormalPointer, ect..., you specify the number of components (usually) as well as a data type (short, int, float, or double). My question is, is there any wa... 
Posted January 3, 2010 11:09:54 AM
[DX10] Map() for dynamic texture returns E_INVALIDARG ?? Hey all, Im trying to do a simply Map() on a dx10 dynamic texture and it keeps giving me E_INVALIDARG as the return value. Here is the desc im using to create the texture: width,height = 1024 x 768 levels = 1 mipmaps = 1 multisample co... 
Posted May 12, 2009 12:29:38 AM
Muller SPH fluid simulation: reasonable parameters? hello there, Iv implemented a SPH simulation based on Muller's smoothing kernels and I believe the simulation is implemented correctly. However, THere are so many parameters and I cannot seem to find a good combination that gives fluid like b... 
Posted May 5, 2009 3:12:51 PM
Compute Shader 4.x drivers? So, I keep reading these nvidia presentations and they mention that you can have hardware accelerated compute shaders (4.x) because drivers are avaliable But, all the directx sdk samples which claim to be able to use 4.x dont actually get hardware... 
Posted April 29, 2009 12:00:27 PM
PIC and FLIP fluid simulation question I have been messing around for a while with grid based (Eularian) and particle based (Lagrangian) fluid solvers for a few months now I ran across this paper recently, and what I found interesting was that there exists hybrid methods (both particle... 
Posted March 19, 2009 3:27:40 AM
#include a file, but as a string? Hey there, So basically I have a very long string that I want to have set as a const char*, and I have put it in its own file (just for reference, its a shader). I could just compile the shader from that source file, but I dont want to have to dis... 
Posted February 28, 2009 11:18:26 AM
[DX10] Possible to call CreateInputLayout() without shader? Hi, Can't seem to find an answer to this in the docs; I want to create an input layout up front, but I dont have any shaders compiled at the time to pass to the function so that it can validate. Is there any way to call CreateInputLayout() with... 
Posted January 19, 2009 2:39:46 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
dx 11 and multicore cpu Hmm interesting. I updated my GPU drivers just now and it has improved performance of the multithreaded path. Immediate mode appears to be the fastest, so like you said I must be GPU bound Desktop: i7 3.4 GHz, 64-bit win7, HD5750 Immidiate ~65... 
Posted November 30, 2010 6:44:19 PM
dx 11 and multicore cpu Any insight into when using multithreaded command list generation is beneficial? When I run the SDK sample, it takes a few extra milliseconds when using the multithreaded paths, despite taking extra CPU time (which i suppose means its actually multit... 
Posted November 30, 2010 2:01:21 PM
dx 11 and multicore cpu Any insight into when using multithreaded command list generation is beneficial? When I run the SDK sample, it takes a few extra milliseconds when using the multithreaded paths, despite taking extra CPU time (which i suppose means its actually multit... 
Posted November 30, 2010 2:01:20 PM
"Dynamic" skybox - Anyone tried this? I had a similar idea a while back, but never got time to try it. As long as the geometry is far enough away and you update the cube map often enough I don't see why it wouldn't look ok. If you end up trying it let us know how it turns out 
Posted November 28, 2010 7:03:54 PM
Megatexture Demo Cool demo! Works for me Running windows 7 64-bit with HD5750 
Posted November 23, 2010 3:37:54 PM
Direct3D11+ComputeShader: Reference device bug with AllMemoryBarrier()? If you comment out the AllMemoryBarrier(), do the GPU and reference solutions match? 
Posted November 8, 2010 3:42:42 PM
Saving the backbuffer directly in DX10 Its possible that it wont save because PNG can only store certain pixel formats. Try using D3DX10_IFF_DDS and see if it saves successfully. It could also be that filename is invalid and/or you dont have write permission in the directory where... 
Posted November 8, 2010 3:36:50 PM
[D3D10] Mipmap confusion make sure the sampler parameters in the fx / hlsl file is set up correctly. If the parameters are wrong, it will always use the first mip level, even if more exist. I think the correct value is LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, but i might be confusing that w... 
Posted September 7, 2010 4:58:17 PM
[D3D10] Mipmap confusion The only thing I can think of is if the texture itself is linear in nature, using a linear sampler would result in the same value that youd get from sampling a higher or lower mip level. Err.. that sounded confusing. An example of what I... 
Posted September 7, 2010 4:03:18 PM
[DX11] Handling multiple GPUs Sure thing. What I plan on doing is testing two setups: 1) Crossfire the cards as normal. Do my compute shader stuff, followed by my rendering stuff in series (paying attention to guidelines given by ATI for alternate frame rendering) 2... 
Posted September 3, 2010 11:37:59 AM
View All Replies Made By This User