Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know MickeyMouse...  
Full Name Maciej Sawitus
Nickname MickeyMouse 
State/Province, Country Victoria   Australia
GD Gathering City Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Engine Programmer 
Job Description Coding game engines for X360, PS3, PC & Wii. 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1044  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/5/2002 6:10:15 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Open-source & free-for-indie license type Hi everyone, I was looking around on the internet for a license that would satisfy my needs but no luck so far. The closest I found was libRocket's license. It's going to be license for a game engine and here's what I want from it in a nut... 
Posted November 15, 2010 9:53:36 PM
Practical path finding for RTS So, a couple days ago I decided to experiment a bit with path finding. I made a small demo with 2D grid based terrain, implemented basic A* and now have 2 questions to more experienced guys: 1. Local Repair A* Is this something that is widely u... 
Posted April 9, 2010 3:31:32 AM
Dropping players in P2P lock-step model I'm wondering what is the typical way of handling dropping nodes when using P2P lock-step networking model. To be more specific, in my case: - game session once started can not be joined - nodes can be dropped at any time (due to many reaso... 
Posted February 7, 2010 11:49:00 PM
1 to 1 pixel ratio on LCDs - how to? Hi everyone, Not strictly DirectX related but not sure where to ask that otherwise. On LCDs I want to use native resolution in fullscreen mode to avoid nasty LCD stretching. Since my game is targeted for 1280x720, if the LCD's native res is lar... 
Posted January 26, 2010 9:55:14 PM
XAudio2 crash when unplugging audio device Hi everyone! I'm having some nasty problem with XAudio2 (DirectX November 2008). Hopefully someone here has faced this before and would be so kind to help me out. I'm using XAudio2 / XACT and all works perfectly except for one case. When I... 
Posted January 4, 2010 3:16:13 AM
Crazy Cars game Crazy Cars is the game I've been working on recently with a small team of programmers and artists. Since I'm normally working in game dev this was all done in my spare time. There's been all together 4 programmers and 4 artists working o... 
Posted September 29, 2008 2:24:49 AM
Clever & efficient managing render states in DX10 Hi guys, While adding support for DX10 to my graphics engine which is DX9 style I need to decide how to manage render states in a best way. The old style way of handling render states was simple - just set each individual render state se... 
Posted July 25, 2008 12:01:09 AM
Writing new scripting language - suggestions needed Hi guys, I'd like to start works on some small scripting language that would be specifically well suited for game dev. The language has to: - be possibly simple (though not as simple as Lua for example) - have basic OO support (single-in... 
Posted February 14, 2008 11:57:39 PM
Simple unified binding for Lua, Squirrel and Game Monkey (Added: Ocaml) Hi everyone, I have recently implemented unified C plus plus binding for Lua, Squirrel and Game Monkey scripting languages and decided afterwards to release this to the public. The "library" (just a small test) has same interface across all scr... 
Posted January 28, 2008 11:57:15 PM
WAV to MIDI converter Hi, I'm a bit confused by the fact I couldn't find any decent free WAV to MIDI file converter. I'm working on a J2ME game using MIDIs only and have bunch of WAVs that I'd like to convert to MIDIs. No luck so far. The only on... 
Posted October 23, 2007 3:18:09 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Open-source & free-for-indie license type Thanks guys! I was particularly interested in what Steve132 said about dual license. I've just read few articles and interviews about it and so far it indeed seems like a good way to go for me. Quote:Original post by Sirisian Also given your c... 
Posted November 16, 2010 6:14:19 PM
Practical path finding for RTS Thanks a lot, that was helpful. I'll try to implement unit priorities as well as inter-unit communication. Both sound reasonable to me. As for getting as close as possible to target, I think I meant more the logical distance rather than euclide... 
Posted April 13, 2010 8:47:36 AM
Skeletal Animation - dealing with a large number of bones I agree with all GhostDogStudio's suggestions. The only thing is that switching vertex shader between calls can be expensive. Quote:Original post by Ashaman73 Quote: 2) Store the bones as a rotation quaternion and a translation vector. Then... 
Posted March 31, 2010 2:04:29 AM
Synchronizing the level editor Quote:Original post by mikeman Thanks for the answer! I have to ask, most engines(from what I've checked, even big engines like UE3/UDK don't do this, AFAIK in UE3 the levels are stored in a single binary file), don't implement that sort of feature... 
Posted February 20, 2010 6:06:47 PM
Synchronizing the level editor Different games / engines do different things with respect to maintaining valid game assets even when multiple persons work on the same data. Game level is often split into layers, e.g. sound, region A, region B, logic where each such layer i... 
Posted February 20, 2010 5:42:54 PM
1 to 1 pixel ratio on LCDs - how to? Thanks MJP! And that's right, I'm using D3D9. The GetMonitorTechnologyType function is (almost) exactly what I'm looking for except it seems this one requires Vista while I'd want to get this to work on WinXP as well :( 
Posted January 26, 2010 11:04:59 PM
Loading resources in a separate thread problems on some card > Is the flow OK? Depending on what your loader worker thread does (e.g. whether it also decompressed the texture from some storage format like JPG) it may be a loading time improvement if you had 3rd thread - "file loader" with its queue... 
Posted January 24, 2010 10:50:44 PM
VSM - variance shadow map question That definitely looks like a common issue with VSM - light bleeding. One way to get rid of that is to make your shadow map higher-res. This article has some more ideas. 
Posted January 24, 2010 3:50:04 AM
Trouble w/ pixel shader (I think) It's an obvious thing to do, but just in case... You must be using 2 different shaders / techniques (by that I mean DirectX Effect's Techniques). Do you somewhere switch between them at all? If you can't find what's the problem I recommend you... 
Posted January 24, 2010 3:38:35 AM
Your Dream Scripting Language I quite liked a couple features of Unreal Script which was designed with client-server multi-player games in mind: - built-in support for multi-player including object / property replication (you can say e.g. "replicate X property with Y priority... 
Posted January 23, 2010 9:58:37 PM
View All Replies Made By This User