Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know localrob2...  
Full Name  
Nickname localrob2 
State/Province, Country WI   United States
GD Gathering City Madison, WI, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1026  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 8/24/2005 12:31:55 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
any difference in 32bit vs 64bit programming? I'm currently running win xp pro 32bit and VS2005 standard. If I upgrade to win xp 64bit or vista 64bit what types of problems can I expect in terms of programming? I know that's a vague question. When working with Win32 or SDL, are there major th... 
Posted March 25, 2008 6:52:53 PM
deleting pointers in C++ I was under the impression that anytime you use the keyword new when instantiating a class, you should use delete to deallocate the memory. I have an Application class that has pointers to another class, State. The Application is constructed and de... 
Posted March 7, 2007 10:50:13 PM
Game State Design I read this article on the codeproject.com about Game States. Basically it says each state is its own class. Then a Game State Manager changes states and calls the functions. What do you think about this design? Have you tired something like... 
Posted February 25, 2007 10:02:11 PM
dump list box into a string I'm working with the win api listbox. Ultimately I'm trying to make a playlist creator, where I can select mp3s from one list box, add them to another, then write the 2nd list box to a text file. My question is, how do I dump the contents of a... 
Posted January 15, 2007 3:51:03 PM
SDL and Vert &Horz scroll bars I'm trying to make a level editor for a side scroller I made in SDL. The levels will be bigger than the window size so I'm going to need a way to scroll around, the problem is I don't know where to start. I have not worked with scroll bars at all.... 
Posted January 10, 2007 10:35:10 PM
SDL tilemap advice I'm building a 2d scrolling tilemap. I read in the tile info from a 2d array. Any tile that is solid gets added to the master entity list. Then each frame I do collision checks with the entity list, draw all entities, then draw all the tiles that... 
Posted August 31, 2006 10:33:05 PM
2D quadtree SDL I'm working on a 2D engine in SDL. Is it worth it to include a quadtree(or some other partitioning tree)? I don't know how to and want to learn, so I figure work on a 2D before attempting a 3D. I can't seem to wrap my head around how it... 
Posted August 16, 2006 9:42:19 AM
VC 2005 express and the stl vector class I just moved from VC6 to the free VC8. I have downloaded and installed the platform sdk. I believe I have configured everything correctly. I can create a sample win32 program and it runs fine. Now I am trying to recreate some of my old programs... 
Posted July 7, 2006 8:46:31 PM
fopen problem I wrote a level load function that worked fine in debug, but when I tried to make a release exe it crashes. I've tracked the problem to the opening of the file. here is the code, given a level number it will open a file in the Level folder FILE... 
Posted March 12, 2006 3:29:01 PM
open/save dialog box I just wrote a save function that will save the level data to a text file. The problem is it will always save to level 1. How could I have the user select which level he would like to replace? A dialog box right? But I cannot understand them.... 
Posted March 5, 2006 11:28:10 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
any difference in 32bit vs 64bit programming? Thanks for all the replies. Quote:Original post by frob Your 32-bit application will run just fine on the x64 systems. If you are talking about porting your code to be compiled for the architecture, you will have to worry about the issues... 
Posted March 25, 2008 11:50:48 PM
Problem with debugging. When the game crashes the compiler should set you to a point where the error occurred, it should also give you an error code that may help you decipher what the problem is. What also may help pinpoint the exact error is break points. You can set a... 
Posted May 12, 2007 6:10:10 PM
Game graphics You can find some free graphics online, a great sprite library is from Ari Feldman it has lots of free good quality sprites. I don't know the exact legality of taking sprites from other games, but you obviously can't profit from someone else... 
Posted April 29, 2007 9:59:52 PM
RPG engine design I have read Jim Adams RPG book, 2nd Ed. and I would not recommend it. It did give me an idea how somethings could be handled, but there were lots of problems otherwise. I did not like it as a 3d RPG engine or as just a 3d engine alone. 
Posted March 12, 2007 7:17:53 PM
deleting pointers in C++ Quote:Original post by Simian Man Also, the use of identifiers beginning with an _ is considered bad practice since they are reserved for the implementation - though yours are not likely to cause problems. I usually prefix those with m,g,etc depe... 
Posted March 8, 2007 6:36:23 PM
deleting pointers in C++ Alright I found the problem. The base class of State, in it's destructor, it was trying to close out a font object that was also closed out in the child state class. I moved the font_close() to a new shutdown function in State, insuring that it wil... 
Posted March 8, 2007 6:18:25 PM
deleting pointers in C++ @crazyfool Thanks for the quick replies. I guess my pseudo code was written poorly. The State pointer is a member of the application class. It is instantiated in the Init function, and then manipulated in Run(). 
Posted March 7, 2007 11:07:01 PM
Game State Design I've used a switch statement before, but the problem I run into is that I need to put a switch statement for each function called every frame. The render function needs a state switch The key input function needs a state switch The update function... 
Posted February 25, 2007 11:05:41 PM
Microsotf Visual C++ 2005 yeah gumpy has the right link, I had the wrong one 
Posted February 21, 2007 9:35:20 PM
Microsotf Visual C++ 2005 I had the same problem. I found two solutions. 1)Change the runtime library(in the properties->c/c of your project) to Multithreaded or multithreaded debug. Don't use the DLL type. 2)Or if you're like me you need to use the DLL(for SDL or what... 
Posted February 21, 2007 9:11:09 PM
View All Replies Made By This User