Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know Torrente...  
Full Name  
Nickname Torrente 
State/Province, Country PA   United States
GD Gathering City Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1086  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 3/14/2006 9:00:26 PM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Grid-based Game Design I've had an idea of a grid-based strategy game running around in my head, but I've run across a few problems concerning the structure. Keep in mind that I'm using Blitzmax: Types = Classes, Extends = Inheritance, etc... The types (or classes, i... 
Posted November 24, 2008 9:52:08 PM
Handling C++ Projects Coming from a language (BlitzMax) in which all source is compiled as though it were one big file, I'm having trouble understanding how to handle a multiple-file C++ project. Are there any tutorials concerning this? I'm using HGE in my curren... 
Posted March 19, 2008 10:58:41 AM
General Game Design I've been programming for about 3-4 years now, and have finally worked up the determination to make a polished game. However, almost as soon as I started, I was met with quite a few problems, mainly dealing with how to design the game modularly. To p... 
Posted February 15, 2008 2:26:08 PM
2D Collisions and Physics Are there any good, free 2d physics and collision-response engines out there for C#? I'm looking to start my next game in XNA soon, and 2d physics are a must. I've seen the Farseer engine, but it seems rather incomplete at the moment. Wrapping an eng... 
Posted May 18, 2007 8:32:44 PM
Verlet Integration I've been looking at verlet integration recently as a way to implement simple physics in my games. However, I'm not sure how it would be implemented. It's not so much the idea that confuses me, but rather how to turn that idea into code. Does anyo... 
Posted April 6, 2007 7:12:24 PM
CandyCane This is my game made for the Devcrunch.com Christmas competition. It is a Christmas-themed arena shoot-em-up, featuring enemies such as gingerbread men, Christmas wreaths, and Santa hats. Here's the download, generously hosted by Nuclear Loaded E... 
Posted March 18, 2007 3:39:53 AM
Mouse moves only up and down This isn't really related to game development, so I wasn't sure where to put it, but it does involve computers. Anyway, my mouse recently stopped functioning properly. It moves only up and down, although when you try to move it left or right it... 
Posted May 3, 2006 6:29:11 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Grid-based Game Design Ah, well if a moderator could move the topic, it'd be appreciated. The problem with my bad structure is that it does keep me from progressing -- I end up having to hack on code to add features, which surely isn't how everyone does it. If I we... 
Posted November 24, 2008 10:28:45 PM
Handling C++ Projects That article is perfect! Thank you very much. I'll take a look at creating a texture manager of some sort to fix my other problems. The only problem with this, as I see it, is that I'd have to pass the texture/texture manager into the cons... 
Posted March 19, 2008 5:42:06 PM
Flex change combo box selection This seems like an odd problem. Are you sure the HTTPService has returned the data when you bind it to the comboBox? 
Posted March 19, 2008 11:10:00 AM
Flex change combo box selection This seems like an odd problem. Are you sure the HTTPService has returned the data when you bind it to the comboBox? 
Posted March 19, 2008 11:08:56 AM
Flex change combo box selection If you know that it'll be the second item, just use comboBox.selectedIndex = 1; Otherwise, get the object by parsing the XML: Working with E4X By using something close to the example given, "(id=2)," you can retrieve the object with the given i... 
Posted March 17, 2008 2:21:59 PM
General Game Design Zahlman: The code you posted is a new idea to me (or at least the concept of returning a screen in the Update() function), but it seems like it'd work for the most part. I still have a few questions, however. Just to clear things up -- If, for... 
Posted February 16, 2008 12:47:00 AM
General Game Design Quote:You forgot to mention what language you program in :P. I'm not sure that this really matters, as the general design of a game could be implemented in a lot of languages. In any case, I began the game using BlitzMax, and am currently looking... 
Posted February 15, 2008 3:52:46 PM
2D Collisions and Physics Do you know of any tutorials, books, or articles that could help me get started? Demos would be great. Unfortunately, after I downloaded one from your website, I now get "The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data t... 
Posted May 19, 2007 5:37:12 PM
MinesXP - Multiplayer minesweeper like game The multiplayer is awesome! It really required me to think my moves through, and I also liked the idea of bonuses. Great job on this. 
Posted April 20, 2007 10:50:05 PM
Verlet Integration Sorry, I'll admit I was rude. Thanks for your reply Gagyi, I really did appreciate it... it just confused me a bit. Thanks for the links Raigan, I'll check them out. I had heard of verlet integration a bunch of times from different resources, yet... 
Posted April 9, 2007 3:13:00 PM
View All Replies Made By This User