Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know rogierpennink...  
Full Name  
Nickname rogierpennink 
State/Province, Country Noord-Holland   Netherlands
GD Gathering City Castricum, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title  
Job Description  
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1198  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 4/29/2006 7:23:28 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Indices problem with terrains I have been working on a simple scenegraph-driven engine for a short while, and recently I encountered a very frustrating problem while adding terrain. Because I want to keep things simple for now, my engine's terrain basically consists of loadi... 
Posted September 26, 2009 8:16:24 AM
Engine design questions Thus far I've found the gamedev forums, and this forum in particular, to provide very useful information on everything that has to do with game engines. I've read many 'classic' threads where Yann L. explains everything from shadow mapping to sc... 
Posted November 17, 2008 8:08:24 AM
setCharacterAttributes - same icon only shown once Hey everyone, I am making a java IRC client and I use a JTextPane with a HTMLEditorKit for the output in channels. Recently, I've refactored my code to use a new class, a ChatWriter to print the formatted text into whatever channel, given a s... 
Posted April 18, 2008 3:17:03 PM
Texture problem: green appears as pink Hey all, I'm busy adding textures to my opengl framework, but a strange change of color keeps haunting my test application. Below is the image I'm using as texture, and as you can see, it's mostly green: However, it appears like so (click &... 
Posted March 11, 2008 6:28:02 PM
Function pointers to class methods I'm trying to add different camera models to my graphics framework and I'm running into some difficulties with function pointers. I have created a BaseWindow class to which you can add event handlers. The expected function pointer that you have to pa... 
Posted March 4, 2008 1:14:53 PM
Runtime error at virtual function call I'm experiencing a rather strange run-time error (an access violation) in a certain function where I call another, virtual, function. First things first, so here's the generic error message that Visual Studio 2005 gives:Unhandled exception at 0x00456... 
Posted February 28, 2008 8:47:53 AM
Scenegraph won't be rendered First of all, thanks for taking your time to read through this post; I apologize in advance for the amount of code, but I really have no idea where it goes wrong so I can't make a more narrowed-down selection. I am working on a small framewor... 
Posted February 27, 2008 3:51:08 PM
Snake with a twist Hey everyone, I realise this is not a very fancy IOTD thread, but seeing as it's the first game I actually finished I decided to post it anyway. Basically, I started way over my head in game programming ('designing' 3D engines when all I was actua... 
Posted July 11, 2007 10:45:00 AM
Different speeds at every run? Hey everyone, I recently started on a small snake game in java and so far everything is coming along fine. Everything, except for this very odd phenomenon that keeps occurring more often than not when running the application. I use System.n... 
Posted July 1, 2007 6:16:38 AM
Crime Syndicate: browser based game looking for co-developer Project name: Crime Syndicate Brief description: Crime Syndicate is a project that I started a few years ago. It is a text-based RPG developed in PHP and javascript and is thus meant to be played in a browser. The game is influenced by o... 
Posted May 8, 2007 3:57:06 AM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
question about OOP Why does your Networks class need to know about your Game class though? I do not know how exactly you're 'designing' your game, but if my assumption that your Networks class only handles everything network-related is right, then, in theory, it h... 
Posted September 30, 2009 6:11:29 AM
Indices problem with terrains Quote:should be all you need to render 1 quad = 2 tris =(2x2 verts) with a trianglestrip. But I'd have to check to be sure. You highlighted the problem exactly with that first line :P My FlatGrid class uses a triangle-list by default, but I had no... 
Posted September 26, 2009 11:05:40 AM
texture mapping issues/questions The code wouldn't have imported any files at all. fopen gives you a file pointer and that's it. In order to read information from the file you'd have to look at using fread. Or alternatively, if you're using C++, you might take a look at using stream... 
Posted August 5, 2008 12:51:12 PM
texture mapping issues/questions The differences between various image formats generally all boil down to... well, exactly that: their format. A .bmp image for example, being the easiest to load, basically stores the raw image data with just a little header information (although com... 
Posted August 5, 2008 11:10:55 AM
Best way to store input? I am personally a fan of the observer pattern, but that may also partly be because I've spent a lot of time programming with Java (and Swing). Since the observer pattern is mainly used in event-driven designs, I'd be inclined to say that using it als... 
Posted August 5, 2008 10:54:42 AM
Static Error [solved] Getting JButton name? [solved] The problem is, both humanPlayer and computerPlayer are 'instance variables'. That means they can only be accessed when there is an object of the class they're in. Static members, on the other hand (also called class variables), can be call... 
Posted April 19, 2008 6:24:21 PM
Static Error [solved] Getting JButton name? [solved] Instead of toString, wouldn't it be simpler to just cast the Object to a JButton and use getName()? If you intend to have different objects be passed into the shotFired method, you can always use the instanceof keyword to determine what cast to ex... 
Posted April 19, 2008 10:59:14 AM
Texture problem: green appears as pink Hmm, I changed that line into:pixels[y * width + pIndex] = ( 0xFF << 24 ) | ( curpixel[2] << 16 ) | ( curpixel[1] << 8 ) | curpixel[0];Then the green showed up, but the red dots were blue... Conclusion? The .bmp file I loaded did... 
Posted March 11, 2008 6:50:57 PM
Function pointers to class methods Quote:Original post by CmpDev The page then goes on to describe "functioniods" (also know as functors, function objects etc). If you want to implement your own then the information is on that page else you could always use Boost's Sorry f... 
Posted March 4, 2008 1:58:52 PM
Function pointers to class methods Yes, what did you want to hear? "I've been incredibly stupid for not realising this..." - because that's true, how I could possibly think that passing pointers to member functions of uninstanced classes around would work is still a riddle to me, but... 
Posted March 4, 2008 1:32:23 PM
View All Replies Made By This User