Intel sponsors gamedev.net search:
The site is presently in a read-only mode while we perform some internal maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Control Panel Register Bookmarks Who's Online Active Topics Stats FAQ Search

Get to know DrGUI...  
Full Name Andrew Mayne
Nickname DrGUI 
State/Province, Country Berkshire   United Kingdom
GD Gathering City Sunningdale, Berkshire, United Kingdom
Contact Info
Homepage URL  
ICQ ID  
AIM ID  
Yahoo IM ID  
Current Occupation
Job Title Hobby Game Developer 
Job Description Programmer, 3D object modeller 
Other Interesting Details
Rating 1201  (Rate this user)
Number Of Posts
In our forums
Member Since 10/20/2003 8:27:54 AM
ContributionsContact Us if a contribution of yours isn't listed
Send a Private Message to this user...

Some recent topics started on our forums
Increasing Vista's RAM Usage Hey guys, I read something recently on how Vista looks at your RAM as a cache, rather than a resource. And of course, having an expensive cache, you want to utilise it fully, to avoid swap file usage. Now with it being winter, I leave my... 
Posted February 22, 2009 6:10:30 AM
Windows Media Player Auto Playlists Hey, wondering if anyone else has had this. Most of my tunes are rating, and I used to listen to all my highly rating songs using an auto playlist on shuffle. However, it seems to have a bug - I create an auto playlist specifying my rating... 
Posted November 19, 2008 3:25:39 PM
I can haz lottery pls? It is a great day for the people of GameDev; I quote: From: 'UNITED KINGDOM AWARDS [self015@bama.ua.edu]' Subject: 'Contact Mr.Thomas Hillary' Quote: -- Attn: Winner, The United Kingdom National Lottery wishes to inform you that the ... 
Posted June 14, 2008 7:16:07 AM
I challenge you to name this spoof action film! Hey guys I'm trying to find this amazing film that I remember seeing on TV a few years ago. It was so hilarious, it must have been a blockbuster in its time. I've tried google but haven't found anything useful :( I remember just 3 sc... 
Posted May 16, 2008 4:21:54 PM
VBA: Outlook - Removing IMAP purge confirmation Hi guys, Being the recipient of many newsletters, and updates from university societies, I wrote an Outlook macro that reads in a tab-separated file and moves emails upon arrival to specified folders depending on the sender's email address.... 
Posted March 26, 2008 11:12:44 AM
Plug in Tom's Render Loop in a few seconds! Hey My garbage collection timeline is now lovely and flat :) I was too lazy to put the whole of Tom's render loop in, so I'll describe my simpler way. It's just as good as Tom's original because DoEvents only ends up getting called like 5... 
Posted January 29, 2006 7:55:11 AM
PHP: How to set up php.ini for 'mail' Hi I'm trying to get the 'mail' function in php to work. My PHP book tells me to set up the config to point to my email program, but how? The relevant section in php.ini currently reads: [mail function] ; For Win32 only. SMTP = l... 
Posted September 24, 2007 1:00:11 PM
The paaaiiiinn...libextractor under windows Hey Don't know if this is the right place, but someone here must know. I've been trying to use the windows distribution of libextractor to get all the metadata out of a Word document. I copied the dll's across from the 'libextractor' folder... 
Posted September 2, 2007 11:40:30 AM
GPU: fan heatsink or passive heatsink with blower Hey guys I think I've reached the limit of my NV GeForce FX 5200. I managed to overclock from 250/405 to 298/524 but it seems to be its rate of cooling holding it back because my pci fan extractor only allowed a few more Mhz. Looking at the... 
Posted March 7, 2007 3:15:56 AM
Ray-Pick Hey guys, this question is about ray-picking - I have it working as I have described below but I want an explanation of why Dunlop's method works and mine doesn't if you could... thanks! So at this stage I have converted the screen-space coordinat... 
Posted November 27, 2006 5:47:46 PM
View All Topics Started By This User

Some recent replies made on our forums
Increasing Vista's RAM Usage Hey thanks for that info. I just checked: Process Explorer: Total: 2GB Available: 800MB Sys cache: 730MB Task Manager: Total: 2GB Cached: 900MB Free: 4MB Cheers, Vista _is_ probably using memory optimally in fact. It's just keepin... 
Posted February 23, 2009 4:56:31 PM
Increasing Vista's RAM Usage Quote:Original post by Sc4Freak Quote:Original post by DrGUI @SC4Freak: Thanks for your response. I don't think I need more RAM, but would like more to be kept in RAM to reduce swapfile usage when half the RAM is empty! That's the point - it's... 
Posted February 23, 2009 6:08:47 AM
Increasing Vista's RAM Usage Quote:Original post by zedz ms os's arent to memory smart, if the memorys there it should be used right? with winxp try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive = 1 (perhaps... 
Posted February 22, 2009 5:12:23 PM
Increasing Vista's RAM Usage @SC4Freak: Thanks for your response. I don't think I need more RAM, but would like more to be kept in RAM to reduce swapfile usage when half the RAM is empty! @phantom, I use SysInternals' Process Explorer and RivaTuner's monitoring (for overclo... 
Posted February 22, 2009 11:06:18 AM
Windows Media Player Auto Playlists Cheers p.s. curiously enough, all the auto ratings for me are 3* for new tracks, then as soon as they're played once it jumps to 4*, so it's funny if it's different for you! 
Posted November 20, 2008 6:22:36 AM
Windows Media Player Auto Playlists Thanks benryves! My bad, I'd set the rating threshold in the 'And alse include' section. Still a useful post however, as I didn't know that the 'Randomize play order' existed - you have to click 'more...' The normal shuffle didn't seem to shu... 
Posted November 19, 2008 7:41:15 PM
I challenge you to name this spoof action film! Ah yes, Ravuya, I remember the original Hot Shots! The fighter pilot one :) I just ordered the DVD with both from Play.com for £4.99, bargain. Apparently a scene is cut but didn't think that was worth paying double... 
Posted May 16, 2008 7:10:41 PM
I challenge you to name this spoof action film! Spot on and in about 2 seconds as well! You've made me a very happy man, Driv3MeFar. 
Posted May 16, 2008 4:29:58 PM
VBA: Outlook - Removing IMAP purge confirmation Hey Antheus, thanks for the reply. However, that's the thing, when you move or delete from an IMAP folder in Outlook, it just _marks_ it for deletion - then you have to 'purge' the folder to actually delete the items! 
Posted March 26, 2008 3:12:50 PM
The paaaiiiinn...libextractor under windows By sweet serendipity someone happened across a solution! (why didn't that come up in my googling now?) Here's the note I left myself for next time: Quote: COPY DLLS FROM LIB\LIBEXTRACTOR TO BIN FOLDER FOR DOC/XLS/PPT USE THE '-l libextractor_ol... 
Posted September 2, 2007 2:42:35 PM
View All Replies Made By This User